Sunday, 24 June 2012
KRAKOW - JAGIELLONIAN UNIVERSITY, COLLEGIUM NOVUM
Presented building is called Collegium Novum and remains the main headquarter of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow.
It was designed by polish architect Feliks Ksiezarski and built in 1883-1887 .The building was located on Golebia Street and its elevations were supposed to remind the Akademisches Gymnasium in Vienna or Kreuzschule in Dresden.
The building is rectangular in plan, with two small internall courtyars separated with a monumental staircase.To create thye ceiling architect used a cristal vaults supported by slender, granite columns.
One of the most interesting rooms is first floor assembly hall with a paneled ceiling and neogothic fitout designed by Tadeusz Stryjenski and decorated with painted masterpices by Jan Matejko - including his painting "Copernicus ".
Three and two storey front elevation is split to five parts .The central widest element of elevation has five pointed neo gothic arches and the windows at the first floor level are double height.
Entire facade is decorated with standard neo gothic architectural elements like curved cornices, stone window and door surrounds, architraves, flying butresses , pinacles and copper pitched roof .